Cave goblin spears #12 – Mad git

I stole some time from the desert of the real, and I have a simple goblin figure to share, a Rackham Goblin with Ball and Chain, to be used as a Mad Git in 9th Age, a Fanatic in Oldhammer or however GW now calls these crazed little chaps.

I’m really sorry I couldn’t find the time to read everybody’s posts lately – I have an impressive backlog to go through now. But I will, slowly.

The sculpt is nice, though a little messy here and there. And don’t ask how the goblin can spin… Chains were a pain to do nmm on and they didn’t turn out that well, plus the paint was chipping all the time no idea why. (Does anybody know a good tutorial on nmm chains or has advice on how to do them?)

I tried to improve my basing a little (hey! the model has a base, that’s an improvement already) and reorganised my basing material.

Handy, but I still need some brighter green grass…

Anyway, glad to be back, in some sort of way.

Cave goblin spears #11 – Basing test group

Given the popular demand, I decided to go on with the basing, despite the lack of new fancy supplies.

First I worked on the old fanatics round bases and then, reasonably satisfied, I moved on to the first two goblins.

Cave goblin basing 1
On to your flowery grave

Now, two out of three of the fanatic bases were already completely covered in static grass. On the third – the black one – I first glued and painted some sand to represent clayey terrain and then added rocks, tufts, flowers and static grass.

The base of the two spear-wielding goblins has been made in the same way, but with more rocks in proportion – I used very small chunks of cork, painted dark gray and then highlighted.

Since I didn’t glue the models to the bases, it was easy to glue the sand on the surface of the base before setting the model in the slot.

I like how a base with some height works well even with small sized models like these.

Here’s an overhead shot.

Cave goblin basing 2
Roaming the grasslands

The available surface on the square bases is very small, and it’s a bit difficult to avoid a “front-back” design that would look unnatural. I’ll try to give some general consistency to the bases of the whole unit, but going for continuous areas of terrain may end up having some of the bases too focused on a single element – the trick works better with bigger bases, and I want some variety on each and every base.

So, anyway. What’s your impression? Do they work well enough? Any suggestions?

I’ll go on with the rest of the unit as soon as I receive the green light. 🙂

 

Cave goblin spears #10 – The final gobbos

At last! The final six rank and file cave goblins…

Spears 6
It sure took a long time!

And the extra command group, in case I want to split the horde in two smaller regiments (I would probably need to paint a few more goblins for that or a couple of small unit fillers).

Second command group
It’s not very realistic, but I really like how the moon icon turned out…

This concludes the painting for the first horde and possibly the largest unit in the army (since they capped the ‘eadbasher orc units to 30 models)!

Here’s a WIP groupshot. It will still be some time before I get to basing. Believe it or not, I’m still waiting for those supplies!!

WIP groupshot
Yeeeeeikk!

It’s not really over until I’ve done the bases, but still this is a huge boost to my confidence: it’s the first horde I ever manage to paint, and I managed to keep a good level throughout the ranks without getting bored. Now I know I can tackle the other parts of the army – even though my pace is still quite slow.

Cheers, and next: some crazy shamans!

 

Cave goblin spears #9 – Some balls

Voilà, the next to last batch of cave goblin spears! I realised I missed the eyes on the little fellow to the left of the formation, but apart from that they look ok. This time I put some checkers on the hem of a couple of cloaks – they don’t look very good in one … Continue reading “Cave goblin spears #9 – Some balls”

Voilà, the next to last batch of cave goblin spears!

Spears 5.JPG
We want bases!

I realised I missed the eyes on the little fellow to the left of the formation, but apart from that they look ok. This time I put some checkers on the hem of a couple of cloaks – they don’t look very good in one line only – and two different kinds of triangle patters on two others, for variety.

Out from the mists of the past, here’s three old fanatics, who miraculously managed to keep their balls intact, and which I am nostalgic enough not to retouch. Eventually, I’ll try to find some replacements.

Old Fanatics
Crude, but still effective

I’ll do my best to wrap up the painting part of the project by next week!

Then (still without the new supplies) there will be basing…