You know how it is with orcs: the more there are the faster they gather. Well, although this is not really fast, the project is getting a little momentum. I managed to finish five more ‘edbashers and started working on the standard bearer and the general.
The pictures are always a bit off, but I’m happy of my skin recipe, which is basically a thinned down trio of GW greenskin colours with the addition of a purple and a dark blue for the shades, as well as of how I ended up doing the leathers.
By using a series of colours at the moment of the basecoat and my reddish brown as a midtone I think I’m managing to keep these flat surfaces interesting and varied enough with very very little work.
The count is now twenty. Eleven more, the command group and then the main unit in the army will be ready for basing and the nightmare or ranking up!
With two new recruits and a total of seventeen orcs, I finally reached the halfway point in the project. Here’s a group picture.
As you can see, there are some issues when it comes to put the bases together in the unit, one more reason to plan the bases for the unit as a whole at the end. I think some rocky bases with some light gray in them would do a nice job, but I will have to verify whether they could work with the rest of the units first. Also, I may want to consider coming up with a nice unit filler…
‘Till next time!
Another quick update with a new batch of ‘eadbashers of which I am quite proud. The photograph kills it a little, but the original colours are really crisp and I am getting to an easy and effective recipe for the nmm weapons and armour using metallic metal as the base colour.
Once I’ll get to the actual half of the unit, I’ll post a first group picture.
That’s all for today, slowly making progress…
A quick update. With these four ‘edbashers and the completed champion the mob now counts two ranks. Expert modelers will spot some minor conversions and a couple of elementary kit-bashes…
I’ll show the champion in the next post with the new batch of orcs, because the top of his axe broke and I am currently out of glue. Here’s a picture of the nmm work on the blades though, as promised a long time ago.
Work, work and more work. And when I’m off work, I usually don’t feel like sitting at a table again, even if it’s with a brush instead than a pen in my hand. Still, I managed to add two more orcs to the project.
Lighting conditions are a bit better in the new place I’ve moved to, so the pictures are slightly better as well, aren’t they?
I’m experimenting with quick nmm techniques – in this case I used gray glazes over a white base, then gradually tinted black some areas and applied some very stark highlights here and there.
Here I like the armour, which I made adding some brown to a dark gray base, then highlights in lighter gray (with just a dash of the same brown) finally toned town with a light wash.
This is it for the moment, unfortunately. In the next post I will talk about the future of the 9th age orcs & goblins army of which this project is part: time for some painful realizations, optimistic planning, a short discussion of the 9th Age itself and some ideas about future hobby projects.
’till next time!
I wasn’t planning to have an update with just one model, but I’m so pleased with how the leather vest turned out that I’m giving this guy the spotlight in a quick post.
Also, the nmm on the boots and knee aren’t bad. Today I feel like praising myself!
For the next update I’ll try to get to a round number – you don’t want to have 60 separate posts for the whole horde, do you?
Ere we go with another update, surprisingly fast all things considered.
I’m still experimenting with lighting conditions for photography, and this is the best I could do for the moment. But I think you can see a little bit better how I’m trying to mix different colours together, especially on the vest.
I use a watery mix of blue, purple, red and reddish brown as a basecoat, then touch it up with some more brown, highlight it with a lighter brown and then tone the highlights down with reddish brown again if needed. It may seem to be a time consuming process, but it isn’t at all.
For the skin I went with subtler shadows, made by mixing blue with the base skin tone. Then I use two different greens for the highlights.
To conclude, here’s a picture of the mob so far. More like a duo, but we’re working on it!