Bizmarks # 3 – Varzin

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

A quick addition to this basic “Prussian” Van Saar gang. I kept with the black/blue suit and tried to give the rifle a more credible, less shiny, finish. I used less highlights on the base, so that it looks less battered and the black asphalt comes through a little nicer.

I’m taking this gang as a preparation for a neater “Infinity” style and I still have a long way to go, but I’m still pretty satisfied.

 

 

Advertisements

The Bizmarks #2 – von Caprivi

von Caprivi 1

This was made in one sitting, when the heat made me take an afternoon off writing. I attempted to update the colour scheme for the van saar suit using blue highlights and I had a go at a proper urban base.

The name comes from Bismark’s successor to the post of Chancellor, Leo von Caprivi – a name wacky enough to fit the hive’s sense of humour. Game-wise, he’s a cheap little juve with a mace, there to double team some opponent in close combat and provide those extra strength four attacks.

I still find the suit difficult to paint effectively, but I enjoyed this three/four layers attempt with game color cold grey, night blue and citadel abbadon black and I’m happy with the results. Unfortunately, the picture picks up the blues a little too much – they’re not that visible on the actual miniature.

The eyes are so small, that I couldn’t manage to put a black dot on them without ruining the face after three attempts. Damn them eyes! I’ll try again when I’m more inspired.

For the base I used a fragment of cement from a collection I scraped off a bucket. I painted the part that stuck to the bucket’s surface like battered asphalt concrete, and the rest with cold grey adding some light brown stains and some grey and black shadows. Then I added a few smaller fragments and dust onto the base surface. The pipe was made with two bits of plastic wire. The yellow marks are a necromundan must.

The Bizmarks – leader and shotgun ganger

Bizmarks1 Bizmarks2This is as much a restoration work as a painting project, since these two models were already partially, and rather poorly, painted. I cleaned the old paint away, got them a new black base coat and then tried to overcome the loss of detail that had nevertheless taken place – and that is still evident on the front of the shotgun. In general, you can see that the back side is neater than the front, where most of the damage was located.

I came up with the Bizmarks after I realised that I had enough Van Saar models left for a gang after those I needed for my (forthcoming) Union project – union as in trade union, by the way. The Biz will stand nicely as the authoritarian paramilitary group siding with the enforcers against organised promethium plant workers, subaltern scavvy mutants, and the Redemptionist zealots of a pal of mine in a campaign that we’ll hopefully play next summer.