A quick update. With these four ‘edbashers and the completed champion the mob now counts two ranks. Expert modelers will spot some minor conversions and a couple of elementary kit-bashes…
I’ll show the champion in the next post with the new batch of orcs, because the top of his axe broke and I am currently out of glue. Here’s a picture of the nmm work on the blades though, as promised a long time ago.
Work, work and more work. And when I’m off work, I usually don’t feel like sitting at a table again, even if it’s with a brush instead than a pen in my hand. Still, I managed to add two more orcs to the project.
Lighting conditions are a bit better in the new place I’ve moved to, so the pictures are slightly better as well, aren’t they?
I’m experimenting with quick nmm techniques – in this case I used gray glazes over a white base, then gradually tinted black some areas and applied some very stark highlights here and there.
Here I like the armour, which I made adding some brown to a dark gray base, then highlights in lighter gray (with just a dash of the same brown) finally toned town with a light wash.
This is it for the moment, unfortunately. In the next post I will talk about the future of the 9th age orcs & goblins army of which this project is part: time for some painful realizations, optimistic planning, a short discussion of the 9th Age itself and some ideas about future hobby projects.
’till next time!
I wasn’t planning to have an update with just one model, but I’m so pleased with how the leather vest turned out that I’m giving this guy the spotlight in a quick post.
Also, the nmm on the boots and knee aren’t bad. Today I feel like praising myself!
For the next update I’ll try to get to a round number – you don’t want to have 60 separate posts for the whole horde, do you?
Ere we go with another update, surprisingly fast all things considered.
I’m still experimenting with lighting conditions for photography, and this is the best I could do for the moment. But I think you can see a little bit better how I’m trying to mix different colours together, especially on the vest.
I use a watery mix of blue, purple, red and reddish brown as a basecoat, then touch it up with some more brown, highlight it with a lighter brown and then tone the highlights down with reddish brown again if needed. It may seem to be a time consuming process, but it isn’t at all.
For the skin I went with subtler shadows, made by mixing blue with the base skin tone. Then I use two different greens for the highlights.
To conclude, here’s a picture of the mob so far. More like a duo, but we’re working on it!
Wow, it’s been a long time!
I’ve been taking up a new job in another country, had to set things up to rent my flat in France, adapt to the new environment and I still have a few demanding work projects I have to complete. So hobby time was reduced to a big fat zero for a while.
But I had brought some orcs and paints with me and this morning I took them up and splashed some paint around.
My painting set up is minimal and the light and photographing conditions are dire but who gives, it was fun to make do and I’m happy to be sharing this small effort with you.
As you may remember from internet eons ago, the orc is part of a large project, a 60 greenskin unit of ‘edbashers for the 9th Age. Don’t expect regular updates, unfortunately. But I’ll do my best to keep up some kind of pace. I’m trying to go for smoother transitions and I should probably buy some thinner or glaze medium to make the whole process more controllable.
I’m happy with the NMM on this guy’s gauntlet – I can’t take a good picture of it, but here it is for what it’s worth. I can’t stress to myself enough how important it is to keep the paint as thin as possible.
Whenever I can I still read and look passionately at all the work you’ve been doing. Great things all around and so good of you to share them!
Here’s more gnashers and a new prodder team for the herd.
These three are going to be placed on a four by four base, just so to break up the ranking and hide a little of the repeat sculpts. I’m almost done with the WFB squigs and I’ll get a group shot as soon as possible.
This prodder team was properly basecoated and was nicer to paint than the previous one. I find the gesture of the sculpt very effective. I kept the skin very natural and had another go at the subtle cartoonish grey NMM, adding some barely visible lines here and there.
All in all I’m pretty satisfied. Been busy, though. So expect some new members of the herd, but not too soon.
Until next time!
Just a quick before / after shot of the final highlights and glazes on Gobbla.
Here you can see that I did some orange textured highlighting on the area of the face, plus some work on the lower lip and gums.
And here, despite the fact that both pictures suck, you can see I brought out the shadows and highlights on the tail, blended the pink veins with red a little, highlighted the pale skin on the belly, etc.
The back is a bit messy, also because of the sculpt, but all in all I’m really pleased with the front, the upper part especially.
’till next time!